Museum for African Art
The Museum for African Art is dedicated to the arts and cultures of Africa and the African Diaspora. The Museum is internationally acknowledged as a preeminent organizer of exhibitions and publications related to historical and contemporary African art, with programs that are as diverse as the continent itself. Throughout the Museum’s history it has been heralded as a leader in the field, pioneering the way African art is presented and interpreted. Since its founding in 1984, the Museum has organized nearly 70 exhibitions of historical and contemporary African and Diasporic art that have travelled to over 140 venues in 17 countries over 4 continents.
The museum also maintains an active presence on the African continent:
- In collaboration with the Nigerian National Commission for Museums and Monuments, the Museum organized an exhibition of the remarkable art of the Yoruba city-state Ife, now on display at the National Museum, Lagos, following an international tour. In conjunction with the exhibition, the museum is training Nigerians in all aspects of museum management.
- Museum staff members travel to Africa to meet with local craftspeople and buy merchandise for sale in the Museum Store. Some craftspeople create items specifically commissioned by the museum for its sole distribution. A new merchandise source was recently cultivated when museum staff met with a women’s group in Mali to advise them on organizing cooperatives and developing new products.
- The Museum regularly promotes cultural exchange by hosting visual and performing artists from the African continent. In summer 2012 the Museum hosted numerous musicians from Mali, Benin, the Central African Republic, and South Africa for a series of free outdoor concerts.
Contact InformationMuseum for African Art
1280 Fifth Ave.
New York, NY 11101
T: (212) 444-9795 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Museum for African Art is classified as a 501(c)(3) organization. Click below to view our most recent independent audit and IRS Form 990.
Donate Now to Museum for African Art
Your contribution will help us to:
- Preserve and exhibit art that is as dynamic and diverse as the continent of Africa.
- Cultivate an appreciation for Africa’s historical and current impact on world culture, through our educational outreach programs for children.
- Inspire respect for Africa and its people, by building awareness and understanding of the arts, history, and heritage of Africa.
To donate to this member charity by check, please print our designation form and mail it with your check to
Aid for Africa
P.O. Box 8734
Topeka, KS 66608
CFC number explanation